I caught a bus the other day with a very interesting number. Can you work out the number on the bus?
- It has four digits
- It’s less than 2000
- Its digits add up to 10
- If you reverse its digits, you get the same number (it’s a palindrome)
Scroll down for the answer!
The bus I caught was number 1441.
Here’s one way to work it out:
- If it has four digits and it’s less than 2000, the first digit must be a 1.
- Since it’s the same forwards and backwards, the last digit must also be 1.
- Since all the digits together make 10, the middle two digits must add to eight.
- Since the number is the same forwards and backwards, the two middle digits must be the same, so they must both be 4.
For more brainteasers and puzzles for kids, subscribe to Double Helix magazine!